[mythtv-users] Recording failure.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:29:08 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 17:39:34 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 16:59, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> One solution was to add these lines
> >>   net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
> >>   net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
> >>   net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
> >>
> >> to etc/sysctl.conf
> >>
> >> But upon reboot I still had net.ipv6.conf.enp2s0.disable_ipv6 = 0 so
> that
> >> didn't work
> >>

> >In /etc/sysctl.conf?  Are you saying that if you set this to 1 it would be
> >reset upon reboot back to 0?
> >

> >> Another work around said to edit this instead
> /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf
> >> but when I opened it, I see that the edits in  etc/sysctl.conf were
> there
> >> as well so that didn't work
> >>

> >On my 16.04 system, they are the same file.  99-sysctl.conf is a symlink
> >../sysctl.conf.
> >
> >Then there was the suggestion to use the GUI and disable ipv6 from there.
> >> That sounded like a great idea but I don't see "disable ipv6"  I see a
> >> list of 5 Hosts in system->network->Hosts but that isn't close to the
> >> instructions given in the work around.
> >>
> >> I would love to disable ipv6 but what it the correct way to do that on
> my
> >> system?  Mystery.
> >>

> >Here's an article that seems to suggest that for 18.04 systems, the
> >necessary solution is to actually achieve it by passing a kernel parameter
> >on boot:
> >

> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-ipv6-address-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
> >
> >I tried Ian's suggestion and could not log into the computer remotely
> after
> >> doing that so I removed it. The address of myth in my router is
> reserved so
> >> I would have expected that to work.
> >>

> >Hmm.  Log in remotely how?  What method of logging in remotely are you
> >referring to?  This would have to be worked through to solve the problem.
> >I would suggest initially checking the Ethernet interface as it is with
> >your Network Manager based settings using '/sbin/ifconfig -a' and then
> >checking it again after applying settings in /etc/network/interfaces, with
> >the same command to make sure it's getting set-up correctly.
> >
> >Cheers, Ian
>
> From reading those bug reports, I would say that disabling IPv6 is
> likely a red herring.  It seems to be a DHCP problem, so the easy way
> to fix that is to use a static IP address as suggested by Ian.

Well, I changed x.x.x.x to 192.168.1.111
Pretty stupid.

So I tried this instead

iface enp2s0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.111
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

But that didn't work either. After rebooting with those changes, there was
no ip address assigned, the HDHRs were invisible, and I could not log in
remotely.

Here is what it looks like when it works

2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1f:c6:a1:94:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.111/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic enp2s0
       valid_lft 86053sec preferred_lft 86053sec

Allen