[mythtv-users] video artefacts

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:33:09 UTC 2018

On 16/09/18 11:40, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> For a while, since I replaced my video card (now a GEFORCE GT 710), I
> notice artefacts from one
> workspace leaking to another. Here is a short example where the news
> playing on one desktop is
> showing through a static image on another. I think it is showing in the
> black areas.
>      http://members.iinet.net.au/~eyaleb/tmp/20180916_192228.mp4
>
> I replaced the card once but I still see this problem.
> - is it the card?
> - or the driver?
> - or X?
> - maybe the machine(the mobo) itself?
>
> I decided to start asking on the mythtv list, but may need to shift to
> linux-media
> or fedora users list...
>
> TIA
>
> This is fedora 28 up-to-date.
>
> Using XFCE

<system info snipped>

Your demo played fine and I see the effect on that.

On this el7 box I use KDE with 'system settings' 'virtual desktops' set
to 1.  My test box has f27 and probably the same settings but does have
a GT_710 with the current rpmfusion 396 driver. This may be why I
haven't seen this myself.  I could perhaps try 'virtual desktops' set to
2 if no-one else responds, but I'm not familiar with using such a system.

The f27 GT_710 setup uses hdmi to the tv and VGA to the monitor.  Both
boxes on recent mythtv master.

Extra info added in recognition of local-time differences:  My nvidia
X-server 0 settings show a single surface with two contiguous screens

Dell 2009w 1680x1050 at 60 Hz on the left

Panasonic TV 1920x1080 at 50 Hz on the right

Default Mythtv frontend is on the monitor, windowed 1024x576+64+64

or, to get it on the tv, mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0

John P