[mythtv-users] Failed recordings

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:15:27 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 9:33 AM Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> On 8/27/2018 7:52 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:
>
>> On 08/27/2018 06:40 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:31 PM Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net
>> > <mailto:jack at greendesk.net>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     I recently reinstalled 2 HDHOMERUN DUALS.
>> >     they were working fine before in different house and I have been
>> using
>> >     dummy tuner until I could get antenna installed here.
>> >
>> >     The is on .28 on Ubuntu 16.04.
>> >
>> >     I am getting what seems to be random but frequent failed recordings.
>>

> Barring signal strength, the only other time I have seen this is when the
> power supply is failing on them.  I have 3 or the original models and have
> had to replace the power supplies on them all.  I replaced them with non
> Silicon Dust supplies.  Not sure if newer models are plagued with the same
> issue..?
>

> Indeed it was a bad power supply.  One of them was very hot. I replaced it
> and no more failed recordings.

Yeah - I do not know the exact recipe - maybe when they are in a very cool
area, they never fail, but mine melted carpet when they failed and the
house is never over 72 degrees Fahrenheit :)

I have replaced all of mine with these (last one in 2014) and they have
never failed since:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FA5WE2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced then with Netgear