[mythtv-users] Kernel 4.18 regression with some tuners

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 21:09:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

I recently upgraded from kernel 4.17.1 to 4.18.6 and found out that I could no longer tune to any channels.  The channel scan in the mythtv-setup program would give me a non-sense error when trying to tune (it'd read "Cannot measure Signal Strength" and the error message was unknown error 254).  I was convinced that somehow all 3 of my PC HDTV 5500 PCI tuners had finally died, or something goofy was happening on my PCI controller with interrupts.  After playing around long enough, I decided to downgrade to an older but still supported kernel (4.17.19).  After that, I was able to tune to channels like before.  What tipped me off was this bug report filed from another consume of media devices in the kernel:
https://tvheadend.org/issues/5183

That seems to indicate the exact git revision where the regression occurred.  Has anyone else had issues with this kernel and know if and what details should be included in a post to LKML for this regression?