[mythtv-users] Desktop OS remote control?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Sep 1 18:26:04 UTC 2018

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:10:37 AM MDT Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 01/09/18 11:54, Mike Hodson wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 4:47 AM Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com
> >
> > <mailto:veehexx at zoho.com>> wrote:
> >     is there a remote control for an FE that runs on a desktop OS? i
> >     use mythmote on my android phone but find that i'm sometimes on my
> >     (linux) laptop and would be useful to control the FE from there.
> >
> > There look to be a few listed here, hopefully one might work for you.
> >
> > https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#Used_By
> >
> > Mike
>
> Just for fun, as I also use mythmote on Android.
>
> I just tried mythremote (not as fully featured as mythmote) from
> http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca/somemythtvtools.htm which is linked to from
> Install perl-tk and perl-telnet stuff
>
> sudo apt install perl-tk libnet-telnet-perl
>
> Changes to mythremote files after unzipping
> mythremote_telnetperltk_20081004.zip
>
> file remote-Tk
>
> add ./ in front of remote at line 156 so it becomes:
>      `./remote $function`;
>
> file remote
>
> change line 5 from my $host = 'tv'; to ip address of mythfrontend
> machine e.g.
> my $host = '192.168.0.20';
>
> Tested (briefly) against current mythtv 29 (from mythbuntu ppa) and
> mythtv master (30-pre built from source) frontends.

I wrote that one and have used it for quite a while, though my actual remote
is so handy I use that more.

For a laptop user though, the remote command is handiest because it can be
called from various keyboard buttons. I have a ThinkPad laptop, and ThnkPad
desktop keyboard and I have a few Fn keys mapped for my most used functions:
Skip, Skip-Back, Comm-Skip and Pause-Play.

I haven't gotten around to updating the Perl-Tk so that it will go to the
System Tray properly for my Fedora/KDE desktop but it still seems to work.

Kinda heartening that anyone is using it...

While I'm here, perhaps someone would be interested in my Storage Directory
reporter. It makes an HTML report of the drives in my Default (TV recording)
Storage Group. I added graphical plots of space usage history over the summer,
but haven't updated my site (below) yet.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca