[mythtv-users] Missing progress bar

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:41:19 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:53 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> >startup and it isn't clear.  I think I could modify the metamode line to
> >add the projector and place if off to the right of the TV with its native
> >resolution. I could then shutdown mythfrontend and launch it again
> targeted
> >to that part of the three monitor desktop that is the projector.  If myth
> >responds to the
> >--geometry=WidthxHeight+Xoffset+Yoffset command I could use that.  I don't
> >know if that works.  It did not work for Chrome.  Then I could create a
> >desktop icon that launched myth with the appropriate options. Right now
> >mythfrontend launches with a "--service" option
> >
> >Here is what I am thinking:
> >
> >Modify xorg.conf
> >Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
> >1920x1080 +1280+0,DVI-D-0: 1280x720 + 3200+0"
> >
> >create desktop option
> >mythfrontend --service --geometry=1920x1080+3200+0
> >
> >The only thing is I am not at all sure this will work.  I guess I will
> have
> >to try it.
> >
> >Allen
>
> Doing it that way certainly minimises the GPU RAM used.  If it runs
> all three displays in their native modes, then it may be all right in
> preventing the progress bar problem, but I have a feeling that what is
> actually happening is that you will be getting one huge pseudo display
> with portions of it mapped to each real display, and in that mapping,
> the output for the display is having to be re-rendered from the pseudo
> screen's resolution to the actual resolution.  And that will likely
> cause the rendering defect that is happening in the progress bar.
>
> So if you still have the progress bar problem when you try adding the
> third output, I think you will have to give up on that sort of setup
> and go for a manually constructed xorg.conf that sets up three
> separate displays each with native resolution.  So you would have
> three Section "Monitor" parts, one for each physical display, and
> three Section "Screen" parts, each associating one Section "Monitor"
> with an output and adding all the options needed for it.  Each Section
> "Screen" might have something like this:
>
> Option "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
>
> Option "metamodes" "HDMI-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
>
> Option "metamodes" "DVI-D-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
>
> You might also need to add:
>
> Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
>
> for each of the digital outputs to help prevent rendering problems.
>
> And in Section "Device", I would recommend adding something like this:
>
> Option "DPI" "100x100"
>
> Without that, I sometimes get programs that produce windows with very
> small text in them, unreadable unless you are within 60 cm of the
> screen.  One example I had recently is the x11vnc options window.
>
> Unfortunately, manually creating an xorg.conf file can take a while -
> there are heaps of different options and a steep learning curve.

Here is xorg.conf from my Mythbuntu 8 setup.  This is probably about what
you were talking about. I could probably modify it if I had to.

dad at myth_desktop:~$ more xorg.conf
# First Screen is LCD monitor where mythweb and other applications go
# Second screen is where Myth will go

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Videocard0"
        Monitor         "LCDMonitor"
        Option          "TwinView"      "0"
        Option          "metamodes"     "CRT-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen1"
        Device          "Videocard1"
        Monitor         "MythMonitor"
        Option          "TwinView"      "0"
        Option          "metamodes"     "DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
        # this next line will be ignored with the TV and the default, auto
will be used
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Videocard0"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Vendorname      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Boardname       "GeForce 6200 LE"
        Busid           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "UseEvents"     "True"
        Screen  0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Videocard1"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Vendorname      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Boardname       "GeForce 6200 LE"
        Busid           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "UseEvents"     "True"
        Screen  1
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "yes"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Layout0"
  screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
  screen 1 "Screen1" rightof "Screen0"
        Inputdevice     "Keyboard0"     "CoreKeyboard"
        Inputdevice     "Mouse0"        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load            "dbe"
        Load            "extmod"
        Load            "type1"
        Load            "freetype"
        Load            "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "MythMonitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "LCDMonitor"
        Modelname       "Samsung SyncMaster"
        Horizsync       30.0    -       63.0
        Vertrefresh     56.0    -       75.0
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "Xinerama"      "0"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        Rgbpath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection