[mythtv-users] Missing progress bar

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Oct 30 15:49:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 07:09:46 -0700, you wrote:

> Not sure why I have two instances of lightdm running
>dad at NewMyth:~$ ps -e | grep dm
>  825 ?        00:00:00 lightdm
> 1096 ?        00:00:00 lightdm

That is normal - I am not sure either just why there are two
instances, but if you look more closely (ps -ef | grep dm), you find
that the second one is a child of the first one.

>My 750ti has three outputs, VGA-0, HDMI-0, DVI-D-0.
>With just the two monitors hooked up my xorg.conf has this line in the
>Screen section
> Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
>1920x1080 +1280+0"
>
>I assume I could add the DVI monitor to this definition.  What I don't know
>is how I can get Myth to show up on both the HDMI and DVI monitors but not
>on the VGA monitor.
>Googling is good at finding examples with two monitors but not so much on
>three.
>
>The projector is a Panasonic PT-AX100U and it 720p native although it will
>take other inputs.
>
>Allen

I think you will need to reconfigure things so that each of the
outputs is a separate X display.  I have never use the "metamodes"
option they way you have to configure two outputs, but I was surprised
to see that it was valid to have both of them as "-0".  I would have
thought that what that would do is to make the monitor and TV both
have the same output, rather than have the desktop on the monitor and
MythTV on the TV.  But it depends on how your other X config is done -
you can set up X so that the two screens are side by side and you can
then drag mythfrontend to the right from the monitor to the TV.  Is
that what you are doing?  Anyway, please post the full
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file and more detail about how your current setup
works.

I think the way you should be setting it up is so that each output is
a separate X display, say VGA on 0, TV on 1 and projector on 2.  Then
you would be able to set up each of them in their native best
resolution, and send the desktop to the monitor, and use the -display
option on mythfrontend to choose which of the TV or projector it ran
on.  The problem with doing it that way is that you can run out of GPU
RAM running three displays at once, but I think trying for that first
would be the best idea because it the most simple way to do what you
want.  And I think it might help with your problem with the progress
bar, as having each display running in native resolution is the best
way to avoid strange problems like that.

To help work out the best config, it would be useful to also have the
/var/log/Xorg.*.log file(s) after booting with all three display
attached and switched on.  Of particular interest is the section at
the start of the log file where it tells you what are the valid
devices and their characteristics, starting with a section like this:

[    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GeForce GT 220
at PCI:1:0:0
[    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0
[    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-1
[    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     SONY TV (DFP-0) (boot, connected)
[    36.700] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-1