[mythtv-users] impending failure

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 08:45:18 UTC 2018

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> When you are copying a failing drive, the best tool to use is ddrescue
> (from the gddrescue package - do not use dd_rescue which is a
> different program).

+1 for that, it's the most brilliant tool.

The only time it's failed on me was with a Seagate drive - they went through a phase when the drive would, after encountering a certain error, then fail to respond properly until power cycled. Thus ddrescue would progress so far, the drive would encounter an error, then every block after that would get marked as failed. Lets just say it didn't improve my opinion of Seagate !