[mythtv-users] impending failure

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 18:33:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:36 AM Swanseasurfing <swanseasurfing at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Concerning dd:
> My experience is that this tool ignores errors. I copied data from a drive
> that had defects and was so happy that dd did not report errors. But the
> target did not contain all data that I expected... I was told better to use
> ddrescue.
>
> I often use Clonezilla for Imaging purposes. Cloning an SSD drive to set
> up a new frontend was comfortable.
>
> Regards
>   Jens

 Incredible joy! I made a live clonezilla DVD and started the process of
cloning the about to fail drive, 36% into the process it failed, I
continued to walk the process out and saw a grub failure then a shut down,
which I asked it to do upon set-up. Out of curiosity I took a look at the
new drive to see just what was there with gparted and found identical space
used on both old and new disks, when I opened the drive with files I saw
all of my recordings, so I installed it into the mythbox just for kicks
telling myself that the grub failed so it won't boot here, but it did and I
am left stunned and pleased at the same time.