[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS do-release-upgrade with Mythtv

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 11:53:35 UTC 2018

>> I had some time on this raining day to review in more detail what you
>> found going from 16.04 to 18.04. Some things I noted for my installation:
>>
>> 1.  In my case the backend is built on 16.04 Server version and is still
>> on the 4.4.0-138-generic x86_64. It is up to date with the latest Ubuntu
>> and Mythtv software.
>>
>> 2.  My only tuner is a SiliconDust Homerun HD Quatro, so no driver
>> issues.  Not sure about systemd changes I might need.
>>
>> 3.  I've use "ssh -X jim at mythbuntu" so I can run mythtv-setup on the
>> backend.
>>
>> 4.  The 4 drives on the backend are configured by mdadm to be 2 sets of
>> mirrors.
>>
>> 5.  I have a APC USP to backup the power and shutdown the system if loss
>> of power is more than 30 minutes. So I use the  apcuspd software and
>> cgi-gui.
>>
>> 6.  I also use mythweb to work the tv record schedule.
>>
>> 7.  Since I'm on MariaDB from 16.04 install, I'm hoping the changes I
>> had to do to allow remote FEs will still work and upgrade in place.
>>
>> So I'm thinking I may not have too big an issue.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Jim A
> I think you will want to do the anacron fix if you have recordings
> happening just after midnight - 07:30 is a much better time to have
> the database check and backup jobs being run.  And you will need to do
> the PHP fixes for mythweb.
>
> Running network tuners requires that mythbackend only start after the
> network access to the tuners is fully up, which requires a systemd fix
> that is likely the one you already have in 16.04.  But 18.04 boots
> faster and with more parallelism, so if you have not had to do that
> fix, it will almost certainly be required in 18.04.
>
> I would suggest doing a web search to see if there are any new
> problems with mdadm and RAID in 18.04.  There have been problems in
> the past when upgrading them, and I do not use RAID (I do not have the
> mdamd package installed even), so I will not have met them.  Nor any
> problems with APC software.

I found that there have been some using mdadm RAID drives that have had
issues after doing the upgrade.

So that I don't create any issues with existing recording, I think I'll
build a new system using 18.04 from the ground up and after it's working
move the recording over and restore the database.

That might save some headaches and panic.

Thanks all for your comments.

Jim A