[mythtv-users] impending failure

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:44:55 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 5:15 PM Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> I'd double-check those UUIDs to make sure they are the same.  Also, you
> may have to reinstall grub as Simon Hobson just said.  You may be missing
> the bootloader.
>
> The below link is one way to do it.  It involves burning a CD with a
> self-help installation.
> https://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-repair-grub2-when-ubuntu-wont-boot/
>
> There are command-line ways to do it as well.  Here is a Google search of
> the topic.
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reinstall+grub2+ubuntu
>
> Wait, this is a storage drive and not your boot drive?  If that's the
> case, then you won't need to reinstall grub.
>
> What do you mean by the box won't boot?  Do you get an error message, or
> does nothing happen when you turn the machine on?  If the box is booting
> but not seeing the old UUIDs, then that could be your problem -- you'll
> have to get the new ones and put them in /etc/fstab.
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings mythizens, I got a message that a storage drive was about to
>> fail. I just received the replacement, used gparted to copy and paste from
>> the failing drive to the new one, and the box won't boot? I thought that
>> gparted cloned everything including UUID and Labels. Any suggestions?

I booted from a live USB found the label "storage2" in tact on the cloned
drive (OS on separate SSD) and went to the how-to-geek and something in the
boot-repair failed, regrettably I didn't keep the log cause its never
failed for me before. The good news is that replacing the "about to fail"
drive into the same power and SATA ports allowed the system to boot and
handle tonight's recordings.

ubuntu 18.04 desktop on an SSD and three terra-byte HD storage/recording
drives mythtv 0.29

Should I try dd or some other cloning method tomorrow?