[mythtv-users] HELP: HD died will need to delete all recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 23 11:09:40 UTC 2018

On 10/22/2018 10:47 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:15:36 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Damn...one of the drives in my backend died so I'll loose all my recordings.
>>
>> Is there some shortcut to effectively do a delete and allow re-record
>> on everything? I have a LOT there and will really need this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Tom
> Delete yes, re-record no, not that I know of.  For deleting recordings
> that have missing recording files, use the "find_orphans.py" script:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

find_orphans.py automatically deletes and _allows_ re-record, but you
are correct that it will not create new rules to record the shows that
are deleted (nor will any other mechanism for deletion). Any existing
rules the cover the shows that get deleted will result in re-recording
of the episodes.  However rules that no longer exist (i.e. "this
showing" or "find and record once" or ... rules) will need to be created
again.  Generally, though, those one-off rules tend to be for
"opportunistic" recording of something less important, so probably
aren't too much of a concern.

Mike