[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 02:51:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 7:34 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:25:07 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Half just to find out and half as there are a couple of nice things about
> >upgrading, like getting a supported browser and getting CC that works,
> that
> >I would like so I bought some more RAM. My system now has 6GB of ram as I
> >added 4GB to the 2GB that were there. The new RAM was slower but it is
> >working.
> >
> >Running Mythbuntu 16 there is no swap used and no glitching in a ten
> minute
> >test.
>
> That is good to know.  Swapping problems are very difficult to detect
> and debug as there are no good tools to monitor swapping activity that
> I know of.  Just seeing swap space in use unfortunately does not tell
> you that it is causing a problem.
>
> It would be helpful if you could post the top swap usage from
> Mythbuntu 8 after it has been running for a while, to see if it is
> possible to tell from the output that the swapping has gone beyond
> what is safe.
>
> >But the remote suddenly doesn't work.  Something to do with the HDHR.  I
> >switched back to the Mythbunty 8 system and turner and remote are fine.  I
> >have no idea where to start debugging the Mythbunty 16 system with no
> >remote. irw does not respond and there is a green light on the tuner that
> >says the tuner is in use when it should not be.  I switched back to the 8
> >system things look and act normal.
> >
> >It is a pain to switch between systems as the Mythbunty 8 system needs the
> >6200 video card and the Mythbunty 16 needs the 750ti video card.
> >
> >I bought a 2T Red drive but will wait to use it until I decide which
> system
> >to put on it.  If I can get some help on the remote issue, I will try and
> >fix it.  The remote use to work with Mythbuntu 16.  The only thing I did
> >that I should not have is start the 16 disk before I switched the video
> >card.  That was a pain in getting the monitors right but I can't see how
> >that would mess up lircd.
> >
> >Allen
>
> Between around Ubuntu 12 and 14, if I remember correctly, LIRC had a
> major change where a lot of the driver code was merged into the
> kernel.  I do not know anything about the HDHR remotes though, so I do
> not know if they were affected.  If they were, you may need to do a
> major update to your LIRC config to make it work via the kernel
> devinput driver.  But as the HDHRs (including their remotes) are
> network connected, I suspect that they were not affected by this.
>
> Have you checked the Mythbuntu 16 LIRC config?  It is entirely
> possible that it needs some manual updating.  This page gives some
> instructions, but I am not sure what version of LIRC and HDHR they
> apply to:
>
> https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/mythtv/
>
> And in Ubuntu 18, LIRC has had another major upgrade and its config
> [...]
lirc is working now.  In the process of getting the new system configured,
I did a reset of the BIOS and that turned off Cool'n'Quiet which made
rc.local crash before it enabled lircd.  I have not tried the command since
enabling cool'n'quiet but it is a minor thing at this point.
echo -n 15  > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

So for now I am going to test Mythbuntu 16 and if there are no problems I
will use it.  Two features I like
1) CC works
2) I have a supported browser.

There is still the lingering sound issue which basically means I cannot use
my projector because the way I now have to get sound to the surround system
is through an optical link from the TV which gets its input now from HDMI.
My surround system has DVI switching... This is what happens when you don't
keep up with all the latest stuff.

Allen