[mythtv-users] Scan Type: Failed to open the card

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 07:04:21 UTC 2018

On 20/10/2018 22:26, UB40D wrote:
> As of recently I can no longer see the BBC HD channels. Since I can
> see other HD channels (with "watch tv") I suspect it may be a change
> at their end, so I thought I'd do a rescan (groan).
> However, when I attempt it, I get the message in the subject.
> More specifically:
>
> mythtv-setup
> 5. input connections
> dvb: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> scan for channels
> scan
> --->Programmer error, see console
>
> and, on that screen, the scan type is "Failed to open the card".
>
> Same after a reboot.
> What could I try?
>
> Mythfrontend version: fixes/29
> Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Without logs I will have to guess.

There is an unresolved issue with mythtv and *ubuntu 18.04 (and others)
where mythtbackend is not stopped when entering mythtv-setup, which can
cause "failed to open card" messages.

The current work round is to use systemctl commands in a terminal
session to stop mythbackend before using mythtv-setup

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend

mythtv-seup

sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend (or reboot)

Mike