[mythtv-users] Can MythTV support the new raspberry pi dvbt hat - cheap network tuner?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Oct 19 14:14:05 UTC 2018

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:22:59 +0200, you wrote:

>Thanks for information all of you really useful.
>
>> I am using minisatip for my DVB-S2 tuners, and manually configuring
>> the channels in MythTV.
>
>Any chance of you providing a quick example of what you need to put in the channel table or do in setup to manually configure?  Does minisatip give a URL to the tuner and this URL gets put into MythTV somewhere?

With SAT>IP in MythTV you create a URL with all the information about
the tuning settings to receive the multiplex the channel is on, plus
the streams needed to record a channel.  Here is what I have for my
DVB-S National Geographic channel:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from channel where chanid=10072\G
           chanid: 10072
          channum: 4072
           freqid: NULL
         sourceid: 6
         callsign: NATGE
             name: Nat Geographic
             icon: national_geographic.jpg
         finetune: NULL
     videofilters:
          xmltvid: nat-geographic.sky.co.nz
      recpriority: 0
         contrast: 32768
       brightness: 32768
           colour: 32768
              hue: 32768
         tvformat: Default
          visible: 1
    outputfilters:
    useonairguide: 0
          mplexid: NULL
        serviceid: 1012
         tmoffset: 0
  atsc_major_chan: 0
  atsc_minor_chan: 0
      last_record: 2018-10-17 10:29:00
default_authority:
       commmethod: -1
           iptvid: NULL
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from iptv_channel where chanid=10072\G
 iptvid: 116
 chanid: 10072
    url:
rtsp://satip.jsw.gen.nz:554/?src=1&freq=12581&msys=dvbs&plts=off&fec=34&pol=h&ro=0.35&sr=22500&mtype=qpsk&pids=0,1079,1007,1107,1907
   type: data
bitrate: 0
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The SAT>IP protocol specification can be downloaded from here:

http://www.satip.info/resources

The format of the URL you want is found in section 3.5.11.  The first
section "satip.jsw.gen.nz:554" is the address and port for your SAT>IP
server.  The fields after the ? must be in the correct order.  The
"src=1" is always exactly like that.  The next section from "freq=" to
"mtype=" are the settings for tuning in the multiplex.  The example
above is for a DVB-S multiplex from Sky TV New Zealand on the Optus D1
satellite.  You can normally find the details for each multiplex from:

https://www.lyngsat.com

Here is the URL for Optus D1:

https://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html

If you look there for the "12581 H" multiplex, you can see the other
details "22500-3/4" which are the signal rate "sr=22500" and "fec=34"
settings needed.  I am not sure where I got the "mtype=qpsk"
(modulation type), but all the Sky NZ SD channels are QPSK encoding,
and all the Sky NZ HD channels are 8PSK.

The final section is the list of PIDS for the streams that make up the
channel: "pids=0,1079,1007,1107,1907".  You always put "0" in the
list, and the other PIDs are found by using a channel scan program
such as dvbv5-scan, scan, scan-s2 or w_scan.  What I use is a Windows
payware program called DVBViewer, which supports SAT>IP.  I get it to
scan the channels, and then export the channel data.  Here is what it
exports for the National Geographic channel:

[Channel0]
TunerType=1
Root=SkyTV NZ
Category=12581 H
Name=NAT GEO
OrbitalPos=1600
NetworkID=169
StreamID=1
SID=1012
PMTPID=1079
VPID=1007
APID=1107
PCRPID=1007
AC3=0
Language=eng
Volume=0
EPGFlag=0
TelePID=1907
AudioChannel=0
Encrypted=25
Group=0
Frequency=12581
Polarity=h
Symbolrate=22500
SatModulation=1
SubStreamID=-1
FEC=2
LNB=10750
LNB-Selection=0
DiseqC=0
DiseqCValue=0

Each line in that which has "PID" in the field name is a PID value
that needs to be added to the end of the URL.  The order of the "pid="
values does not matter.

There is a freeware version of DVBViewer that you can download from
the www.satip.info site that you may be able to use the same way.  I
am not sure if it has that export feature though, and you need a
Windows box on your network to run it from.  You export the data from
the Channel Editor using a button at the bottom of the window.

If you can get dvbv5-scan to work for you, it also produces output
with easy to recognise PID fields.  But you will need to build it an
initial input file with all the multiplexes to be scanned on your
satellites specified in it.  DVBViewer can do blind scanning.