[mythtv-users] Converting from DD to xmltv

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 16:13:43 UTC 2018

On 10/14/2018 07:57 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 10/13/2018 08:36 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>     I'm finally getting tired of getting incomplete information,
>>     especially season and episode data, from DD. It's causing quite a
>>     few recordings to not show up in Plex which we're using on Roku
>>     TVs instead of having to build mini-frontends.
>>
>>     I'm following the directions from the wiki[1] but I'm not sure
>>     I'm getting the whole story...
>>
>>     So i'm pretty much at the point of deleting and re-adding
>>     channels since the IDs are in a different format. If I was just
>>     doing OTA I would see if I could manually translate them but with
>>     Cables 200+ channels, I'm not going to that much trouble.
>>
>     Another advantage to re-adding them is that you get icons for all
>     the channels.
>>     So far the side effects are:
>>
>>     1. Existing recordings will show the wrong channel?
>     This may or may not happen. By default the chanid is set up as a
>     number with format xyyy where x is the source id and yyy is the
>     channel number. Sometimes this scheme can get messed up by manual
>     additions, duplicate channels etc. If your existing channels
>     follow this scheme, they should be the same after re-adding and
>     then existing recordings will show the correct channel.
>>     2. The wiki doesn't mention if I'll have to re-setup all my
>>     recording rules...
>>
>     That should not be necessary unless you have channel specific
>     rules. If the chanid and station id stay the same these should
>     also be ok. Personally I never use channel specific rules.
>     Regardless, you should check upcoming recordings to see if they
>     are still working after the change.
>>     I currently have two sources
>>
>>     [1] OTA
>>     [2] Comcast
>>
>>     Is it possible to setup a 3 & 4 with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and
>>     have both until everything that was recorded on 1 & 2 expire?
>>
>     I cannot see that this would work or any benefit to it. You may be
>     able to leave the old sources in place unconnected to any capture
>     card in case you want to switch back, but I am not sure whether
>     this will work.
>

> I only mentioned that due to #1 above, if that's not a problem then
> there is no reason, however, the wiki does not appear to be up to
> date. It tells me that I need to delete and re-add my channels, but in
> the specific instructions under  "Deleting and re-adding channels" it
> says to go into the channel editor (which would be too slow) and in
> the next sentence says to select video source and delete.

In mythtv-setup, from the menu option 6 is channel editor. Inside the
channel editor is a selector called "Video Source". In there you can
left-arrow or right-arrow and select your source name. Once you have
done that the channels for that source will be visible. Then to the
right of the source name is a button called "Delete". If you click that
button it asks if you are sure you want to delete all the channels. Does
trhis not work? Is it slow in some way?
> Then it says to un mythfilldatabase but after I did that it refused to
> run saying there were no video sources configured.

The idea was not to delete the source, but just to edit it and change
the details from North America Schedules Direct to Mulitinational
whichever one you are using. Then the video source would still be there.
> I used mythtv-setup to set them up but its very "clunky" the way it
> works but per the instructions I thought this the sqlite grabber had
> to be setup from the command line but nothing in the instructions
> seemed to actually insert the video sources.

I agree it is a very clunky process. I did the set up entirely from the
command line. If you do it from inside mythtv-setup it also invokes a
command line program with a clunky interface. The worst part is
selecting the channels one at a time by answering yes or no to each one.
> I'm a pretty experienced linux user, been running MythTV for 10 years,
> and a Fedora packager for 8. If this doesn't make sense to me I can't
> be the only one confused by this process.
>
> Also I've been doing this all as root because the backend user mythtv
> doesn't have a shell. I'm assuming I'll have to move the resulting
> .xmltv and .SD files to /etc/mythtv when complete.

I ran it from a normal user id and then copied the .xmltv directory to
the mythtv home directory. /etc/mythtv does not get used unless there is
a link to it from /home/mythtv/.mythtv.
> Thanks,
> Richard

If there is something specific you are struggling with I can try to
help. I wrote that wiki page based on my own experience but there are
obviously different ways to do it.

Did you see David's response? He pointed out that some of the
information in my first reply was incorrect.

Peter