[mythtv-users] Converting from DD to xmltv

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:59:58 UTC 2018

On 10/13/2018 08:36 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I'm finally getting tired of getting incomplete information,
> especially season and episode data, from DD. It's causing quite a few
> recordings to not show up in Plex which we're using on Roku TVs
> instead of having to build mini-frontends.
>
> I'm following the directions from the wiki[1] but I'm not sure I'm
> getting the whole story...
>
> So i'm pretty much at the point of deleting and re-adding channels
> since the IDs are in a different format. If I was just doing OTA I
> would see if I could manually translate them but with Cables 200+
> channels, I'm not going to that much trouble.

Another advantage to re-adding them is that you get icons for all the
channels.
> So far the side effects are:
>
> 1. Existing recordings will show the wrong channel?
This may or may not happen. By default the chanid is set up as a number
with format xyyy where x is the source id and yyy is the channel number.
Sometimes this scheme can get messed up by manual additions, duplicate
channels etc. If your existing channels follow this scheme, they should
be the same after re-adding and then existing recordings will show the
correct channel.
> 2. The wiki doesn't mention if I'll have to re-setup all my recording
> rules...

That should not be necessary unless you have channel specific rules. If
the chanid and station id stay the same these should also be ok.
Personally I never use channel specific rules. Regardless, you should
check upcoming recordings to see if they are still working after the change.
> I currently have two sources
>
> [1] OTA
> [2] Comcast
>
> Is it possible to setup a 3 & 4 with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and have
> both until everything that was recorded on 1 & 2 expire?

I cannot see that this would work or any benefit to it. You may be able
to leave the old sources in place unconnected to any capture card in
case you want to switch back, but I am not sure whether this will work.