[mythtv-users] Android MythFrontend on Fire Stick

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:18:44 UTC 2018

On 10/13/2018 07:53 AM, Dave Pearson (Lists) wrote:
> Yes, I know I could use Kodi, but I’ve found 17.6 to be very unstable
> when using the mythtv pvr plugin, 18.0 beta is much better, but that
> has other issues.
>
> My preference is to use the Android MythFrontend, which seems to be
> much better.
>
> I have 2 issues with it at the moment, which I’m hoping people can
> help me with:
>
> 1. Setting up the Fire Stick remote (I can use  the iOS MythTv remote
> if all else fails
>
> 2. Playback of live tv or recordings from my Hauppauge HDPVR causes
> the Fire Stick to crash after about 5 minutes. Playback from my DVB
> tuner is OK.
>
> Any help with either of those would be gratefully received.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPad

I wrote an article in the wiki on Android which explains how to set up a
limited remote. see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android#Remote_Control
I have been using a Shield, which has even less buttons than the fire
stick and it is perfectly acceptable using the button assignments
mentioned in the wiki article. Also note that you can probably use the
TV remote if it supports CEC.

I have a fire stick version 2 and it plays MythTV but there are some
issues, some of which I am working on. However it seems to only manage
15 to 20 frames per second so that high speed motion stutters.

What playback profile are you using? What version of fire stick are you
using? The format that is output from the HDPVR may be able to be solved
with a different decoder setting.

Peter