[mythtv-users] MythTV Light installation

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 22:36:35 UTC 2018

> On 10/06/2018 03:16 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> So I now have my RP3+ and I used Etcher to install the RP Stretcher from 2017-11-29.  However when I turn on the RP3+, I just get the multicolor screen and the board has a blinking Green LED in some pattern.
>>
>> Did I miss a step?  I just downloaded the .zip file for Stretcher, Flashed the microSD with Etcher, and plugged it in.
>>

>> That sounds like a kernel problem.  I know that the 3B+ needs a newer kernel.  I don't think that was reflected in Raspbian until at least the RPi 3B+ release date of 3/14/18.
>>
>> There may be a way for you to only upgrade the kernel by chrooting into that distribution from another Raspberry Pi, perhaps by installing current Raspbian on another card and mounting the target 11/29/17 Raspbian card with a USB reader.
>>
>> It's a pain but I bet that will work.  I've done similar things with other single board computers.  The end will be 11/29/17 with an upgraded kernel.  Which version to pick is another story.  Perhaps the latest one, perhaps not.  You could try the oldest kernel made after 3/14/18 I suppose.
>>
>> You might have to grab the actual .deb file and upgrade it manually with dpkg -i.  I'm not very familiar with Debian-based distributions.  Perhaps there is a limited upgrade apt command that will do it.
>>
>> Good luck.  If you get stuck I can do it in parallel here.  I have spare microSD cards and a RPi3B+.
>
> So I downloaded the latest Raspbian for RP3+ (2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.zip) and used Etcher to flash it to a 32GB microSD and this one booted fine.  I'm going to try and get MythTV Lite running on it like I didn't know any better and see what happens.
>
> Jim A

Well this is interesting.  Mythtv light works okay on the Raspbian  2018-06-27 and I did a full update.  Then I install Mythtv Light.  I didn’t try much performance tuning yet, but it seems to work fine. I’m using HDMI video to a A/V receiver and the receiver sends the audio to 5.1 speakers and video to my UHD TV. Setting audio to OpenMAX:hdmi and Video Playback profile to OpenMAX Normal.

I can see some performance issues, but I still have to play with tuning.

I did get my Harmony Smart Hub remote paired to the bluetooth on the RP3+. No issues there.

I’ve bought a MPEG2 license but I don’t have the code yet.

More later after I’ve had time to tune.

Jim A