[mythtv-users] Blasting to STB,using a MCEUSB

Dave Pearson (Lists) lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 14:36:16 UTC 2018

-----Original message-----
From: Dave Pearson (Lists) <lists at the-pearsons.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday 6th October 2018 14:17
To: stephen at jsw.gen.nz
Cc: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Blasting to STB,using a MCEUSB

> On 6 Oct 2018, at 13:44, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 11:10:31 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>

>> Thank you so much for all of your help with this, here is the output from those commands:
>>
>> dave at nuc1:˜$ cat /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
>> # Populated config files can be found at http://sf.net/p/lirc-remotes. <http://sf.net/p/lirc-remotes.> The
>> # irdb-get(1) and lirc-setup(1) tools can be used to search and download
>> # config files.
>> #
>> # From 0.9.2 config files could just be dropped as-is in the lircd.conf.d
>> # directory and be included by this file.
>>
>> include "lircd.conf.d/*.conf"
>> dave at nuc1:˜$ cat /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
>> # These are the default options to lircd, if installed as
>> # /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf. See the lircd(8) and lircmd(8)
>> # manpages for info on the different options.
>> #
>> # Some tools including mode2 and irw uses values such as
>> # driver, device, plugindir and loglevel as fallback values
>> # in not defined elsewhere.
>>
>> [lircd]
>> nodaemon        = False
>> driver          = devinput
>> device          = auto
>> output          = /var/run/lirc/lircd
>> pidfile         = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
>> plugindir       = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
>> permission      = 666
>> allow-simulate  = No
>> #repeat-max      = 600
>> repeat-max      = 1200
>> effective-user = dave
>
> This one is possibly the problem.  You are running lirc as user
> "dave".  In theory, that should work as long as mythfrontend (or
> "ircat mythtv") is also running as user "dave", but there may be
> permissions problems resulting from this.  I would suggest commenting
> this out and trying it running as root.  As far as I know, this is a
> new option and older versions of lircd (as in 16.04) were always run
> as root.
>
>> #listen         = [address:]port
>> #connect        = host[:port]
>> #loglevel       = 6
>> #release        = true
>> #release_suffix = _EVUP
>> #logfile        = ...
>> #driver-options = ...
>>
>> [lircmd]
>> uinput          = False
>> nodaemon        = False
>>
>> # [modinit]
>> # code = /usr/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
>> # code1 = /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:lirc:rw /dev/uinput
>> # code2 = ...
>>

>> # [lircd-uinput]
>> # add-release-events = False
>> # release-timeout    = 200
>> # release-suffix     = _EVUP
>> dave at nuc1:˜$ grep name /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/*.conf
>> # Rename to devinput.lircd.dist if not using devinput driver
>>        name            devinput-64
>>        name            devinput-32
>> dave at nuc1:˜$ cat $HOME/.lircrc
> [...]

Yes, I spotted that after I sent the last email, I commented out the line and it still had no effect.

I’m now in the process of putting Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop to see if I can get this working on a fresh install, if I can I shall reinstall on the frontend.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Stephen,

This is becoming a nightmare - on a completely fresh install of 18.04, with only apt-get update, apt-get upgrade & synaptic & mythfrontend installed, I get the following error after running your lirc installation script:

dave at D630:~/Downloads$ lirc-setup
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_control.py:13: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk         # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 888, in _find_spec
AttributeError: 'DynamicImporter' object has no attribute 'find_spec'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:Traceback

 (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/lirc-setup", line 16, in <module>
    import mvc_control
  File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_control.py", line 18, in <module>
    import mvc_view
  File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_view.py", line 14, in <module>
    from gi.repository import Vte         # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/importer.py", line 127, in find_module
    'introspection typelib not found' % namespace)
ImportError: cannot import name Vte, introspection typelib not found

I suspect I'm missing a package, but I have no idea which one.

Regards,

Dave.