[mythtv-users] Remote control issue after Ubuntu upgrade

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 21:36:10 UTC 2018

What you are seeing is what happens when lirc is not working and you
> are getting keystrokes directly from the devinput driver, but the
> devinput driver is using the standard key table.  If you were
> configuring things in the $HOME/.lircrc files, and that changing that
> configuration affected mythtv, then you were in fact using lirc.  So
> you will need to get it working again.  If you were using a custom
> keytable at the ir-keytable level and had lirc disabled, you will need
> to reinstall and use it.  There is not enough information in your post
> to tell me which way it used to work for you.

I am probably totally confused here, but I thought I wasn't using lirc. I
thought it was no longer required if using devinput which is a kernel
driver and that the button presses got picked up as if they were keyboard
presses. So while lirc is installed, the daemon isn't running. Your comment
"If you were using a custom keytable at the ir-keytable level and had lirc
disabled, you will need to reinstall and use it" suggests I'm on the right
track - is that correct? If so, how do I re-install the custom keytable - I
don't understand that part? And can I safely uninstall lirc or is it still
required even if using the kernel devinput driver?

Thanks for helping,
Phill