[mythtv-users] Occasional projector usage - X setup advice

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Oct 2 04:48:20 UTC 2018

On 10/01/2018 07:43 AM, Al Bates wrote:

>> On 29 Sep 2018, at 20:59, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/28/2018 05:16 AM, Al Bates wrote:
>>> My ubuntu 16.04 myth setup runs 24/7 and normally displays on a TV connected to the DVI output of my system. But i’ve recently picked up an old projector which I’ve connected to the VGA output.
>>> When they are both connected the projector is identified as Display1 @ 1280x1024, TV as  Display 2 @ 1360x768
>>> NB The aspect ratio/fill settings of the myth video seem to get distorted because of the different ratio of the projector.
>>> When I restart, myth ends up on the projector display. In order to have myth display normally on the TV, I have to disable the projector display via the ubuntu Settings/Display manager
>>> I’d like to be able to just power up the projector as and when needed, and have the system move any interface or video playback onto that display, and have the ability to switch it back and forth via a script linked to a remote keypress or even a skin button?
>>> I’m sure a lot of people have a similar setup so just wondering how you’ve handled it? Thanks for your help!
>>
>> You don't mention what graphics card you are using.  I'm using Nvidia, and have this in my Device section for my TV set:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>> 	Identifier "GT440"
>> 	Driver "nvidia"
>> 	Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-2"
>> 	Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-2:/etc/X11/sharp.edid"
>> 	#Option "ModeDebug" "true"
>> 	BusID	"PCI:2:0:0"
>> 	MatchSeat	"seat1"
>> EndSection
>>
>> In that way, it will run the Xserver on that display even if the TV is turned off.
>>
>> I can't remember exactly how I got that edid data, but this article looks to be pretty complete:
>>
>> https://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf
>>

> Thanks Mark - yup nVidia here too. I’ll take a look and see if that points me in the right direction. To me (forgive my ignorance) this sounds like it will enable me to glue the Xserver to one display regardless of which is powered up, which is halfway to my solution. I would like one display to be my default (e.g. the TV) and have a secondary display which can be powered on occasionally, and have the Xserver switched onto it, reverting to the default TV display either via a command line, script, emote press or simply by powering off the display. I’ll get reading...

  yes, it gets you halfway - you can make sure that the one you use the most is
always the one brought up.

  Switching gets a little more complicated.  I have a slightly simpler, and
perhaps slightly more complex case - I have 2 different displays, with different
resolutions & audio, but both hang off the same HDMI port.

  So I have 2 different mythtv profiles switch up.  I have programmable remotes,
and set up global actions within mythv that if it gets a certain remote keycode,
it switches its config (as well as uses nvidia-settings to change the resolution).

  I believe a similar logic could be used to either switch what X-server mythtv
is running, or perhaps switch xorg config files.  Since it sounds like your
config is otherwise the same, you may not need the profile switching (though
that may help with your aspect ratio issue).

  Its been a while since I played with nvidia-settings.  It may be possible to
configure it so that it tries to output to both outputs regardless, and use
nvidia-settings to control which is the 'main' monitor, which is hopefully where
mythtv ends up.  It does seem that regardless, you are going to need to have
some way to tell the system to switch things around - you might be able to do
that just by detecting when the vga port gets a signal, but not quite sure how
you would do that.