[mythtv-users] Bind mount to keep mythtv files in one place?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 30 08:11:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 08:07:45 +0530, you wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 07:28 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone see other options?
>>

>Or create symbolic links in /var on the new SSD pointing to the correct
>directories on the old HD mounted under /mnt, e.g.:
>
>cd /var
>sudo ln - s /mnt/oldhd/pictures .
>sudo ln - s /mnt/oldhd/mythvideos .
>sudo ln - s /mnt/oldhd/mythmusic .
>
>Cheers, Ian

Actually, there is no need to do anything so complicated.  All those
directories can simply be changed in the MythTV settings.  And those
settings are now out of date, as all of them can also be set up as
storage groups now.  So you should probably just go into mythtv-setup
> Storage Groups and add the groups you need.  Note that storage
groups are referenced from the backend - the data is sent to
mythfrontend from mythbackend, and mythbackend accesses the
directories.  The old settings are used by mythfrontend to directly
access the directories, so if you are running separate frontends, you
need to have network paths to access the data if it is actually stored
on the backend box.

If you want to use the old settings for videos, they are here:

Setup > Media Settings > Videos Settings > General Settings >
Directories that hold ...

I can not find where to change the Music path at the moment - I last
changed it far too long ago.  But in the database settings table, it
is like this:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where value like
'%musiclo%';
+---------------+------------------+----------+
| value         | data             | hostname |
+---------------+------------------+----------+
| MusicLocation | /mnt/vid3/music/ | mypvr    |
+---------------+------------------+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

It is possible that this setting is now deprecated and you are
supposed to use the storage groups, so there may no longer be a GUI
way of changing it (and it may no longer be used).

For pictures, the settings are not available in the GUI any more as
the old "Pictures" code has been changed to use the new "Images"
setup.  Which uses storage groups.  I think it is still possible to
compile the old pictures code if you want it, and that would use the
old settings:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
'%pict%';
| value      | data               | hostname |