[mythtv-users] Udev

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:17:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, 8:06 AM Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-11-28 at 01:49 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > But it usually does not matter, as the kernel has a
> > fixed order for how it enumerates the PCIe and PCI slots.  So as long
> > as you do not move the cards, they will always be in the same
> > order.  You will likely not be moving the cards around in the slots
> > for years, unlike with USB tuners that tend to get unplugged for some
> > reason or other and then you forget which USB socket they were
> > in.
>
> Quite a few (i.e. all the Hauppauge ones I've ever had) PCI capture
> cards are really just a PCI USB controller with a USB tuner (or two) on
> them. In that case you become susceptible to the async USB enumeration
> again.
>
> (Historical note: The kernel did once upon a time change how it
> enumerates PCI buses by default, from breadth first to depth first, but
> it was so long ago, in the 2.4.x era, that there is no way anyone here
> is running a kernel old enough for it to matter. Anyone who is
> nostalgic can use pci=bfsort to get the old behaviour ;-))
>
> Ian.

In  previous set up with two sources, and cards staying in the same slots,
enumeration would, on occasion, be different. Stephan, are you saying that
is now different?
Of four tuners, there will be one HP1250, one HP winTV, and two PCi800's,
the last two of which may have no differences, but I may try and find some
(for hind-sight diagnostics)