[mythtv-users] mythtv on 2 computers and filenames

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 10:59:07 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 06:45:00PM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
<snip>
> Klaus Becker <colonius at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > And I cannot rely the external drive to both machines ?
>

> Short version: No, you cannot connect the drive to two computers at
> once - that is a recipe for near instant disaster as they will just
> trash the filesystem between them - each one will write what it
> thinks is on the drive, corrupting all the filesystem data
> structures as they go.
>
> Longer version: Well, you can, but you have to use a filesystem and
> host setups that is specifically designed for that - the hosts need
> to co-ordinate between themselves what is going on with the
> filesystem. It's not something I've done, and it's the sort of thing
> normally reserved for hosting where the operators want the
> flexibility of accessing storage from multiple machines (typically
> a cluster) at once. But in the general case, you can't just connect
> the drive to two computers at once.

I hesitate to suggest this but ... NFS?
Attach the disk to the desktop, export it to the laptop.
NFS will abitrate the laptop's writes.

That said, expecting an external usb-connected disk to be
reliable for longer than a few days is - optomistic, shall we say?
And then we add the flakiness of the average home network on top.
But if the link is 1Gig/s the write speed _could_ be usable;
depends on how many simultaneous HD streams Klaus wants to record.

Approach this option with caution
Vince