[mythtv-users] Frontend on firetvstick 4K - cannot connect to database

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 16:30:08 UTC 2018

On 11/26/18 11:16 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this.
>
> I have 2 FE/BE boxes running independently on the network, both with
> v30-Pre-afaf3cae3a2.  Both servers are detected by the stick in
> 'Search' mode, although then both display the same identifiers:
>
> MythTV AV Media Server 30.20181106-1
> 91
>
> but scanning either says, eventually, Database failed to start
>
> Going to the Setup box on screen then shows one of the identifiers:
> I've tried hostnames and IP addresses, like 192:168:1:129, but none work.

You can only use ip addresses, the stick will not be able to find
servers by hostname.
> I can access both DBs by 'mysql -umythtv -pmythtv - h localhost
> mythconverg', and the values shown by the stick agree.

Did you remember to allow remote access to the database? for mysql
update mysqld.cnf and comment out bind-address = 127.0.0.1 and for
mariadb set bind-address = ::

> Media from both boxes can be played by uPnP.
>
> I'm not really clear about the difference between starting and
> accessing the DB.  Both have been running for most of the time.
> systemctl | grep maria shows mariadb.service loaded active running
>
> I've tried putting one of the MACs found by my router into the 'Write
> command or MAC' box, with no effect.  That MAC isn't the one quoted as
> an example(?), and the other suggested wakeup command invokes
> /etc/init.d/mysql, which I don't have.  systemctl start
> mariadb.service, perhaps?

That is only if you want to wake the database using wake on lan. Since
you have checked that your database is running that is not applicable.