[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv from V.28 to 29 or later while staying on 16.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 22 06:30:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 21:44:00 -0600, you wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>This may be a dumb question, but is it as simple as adding the PPA for v29
>and telling apt to update (or upgrade?) mythtv backend and frontend?
>
>I can't upgrade to 18.04 due to an ancient video card that requires the 304
>driver. But I recently heard that a memory leak has been fixed in MythTV
>29. I have an older server with 4 Gigs of ram that needs to be rebooted
>every few days due to memory issues.
>
>Sorry if this has been covered on this list, but I watch it pretty closely
>and just don't remember if this specific question has been asked. I only
>know I shouldn't bother upgrading to 18.04 due to my reliance on the nvidia
>304 driver from this list, and I heard about the memory leak fix from this
>list too.
>
>Thanks for any advice!
>
>-- George

My mother's MythTV box is also on 16.04 still due to needing the
Nvidia 304 drivers.  As best I can recall, upgrading her to v29 was
completely painless - just adjust the PPA setting in the file in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d (and change its name from *0.28* to *v29*),
then shutdown MythTV, apt update and apt upgrade, run mythtv-setup,
save and exit, restart mythbackend, run mythfrontend.  I can not
remember any complications at all.  But it is a long time ago now that
I did the upgrade.  Other people have had a few problems with the
settings for the IP addresses in mythbackend, as how they work has
been changed and you may need to tick a box to allow external access
if you need that.  So when in mythtv-setup, take a look at those
settings.  And if you have IPv6, v29 now does that properly, but you
may want to adjust those settings.

root at crw-pvr:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat
mythbuntu-ubuntu-0_29-xenial.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.29/ubuntu xenial main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.29/ubuntu xenial main