[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 18:04:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:55 AM Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/11/2018 18:26, Will Dormann wrote:
> > With the upcoming EOL status of Ubuntu 14.04, I'm considering upgrading
> > my MythBuntu box to 16.04.  I had seen a recent thread about caveats of
> > upgrading to 18.04 and it was a bit too long for my liking so I'll
> > probably wait until the dust settles there a bit before attempting that.
> >
> > Anyway, I have an up-to-date 14.04 box with MythTV 0.28 fixes.  The OS
> > itself is a bit customized over the years that I've had it, so I'd
> > prefer to go the clean-install and DB-restore route.
> >
> > For anybody who has gone from 14.04 to 16.04 recently (or remembers that
> > it took), is there a list of gotchas or other things that may not go as
> > expected?   Perhaps obviously, I'll be starting with creating a full OS
> > backup, and I'll plan to stick with 0.28 until I'm comfortable that
> > 16.04 is working well.
>
> I have done this a few months ago and it was quite painless. Even IR
> blasting still works properly.
>
> The only issue I still have to this day is linked to the use of systemd:
> I have not been successful at getting systemd to wait for the tuners
> before starting the backend. I managed it on my slave backend (which has
> the same type of tuners as the ones connected to the master backend),
> but the master's mythtv-backend.service starts without waiting for the
> tuners despite the near-identical configuration with the slave.

I had lots of problems many of which were solved with help from various
people on this list.  Here are some notes I just compiled. Hope this helps
you

HowTo Mythbuntu 16.04

Have at least 4GB Memory.  I upgraded to 6GB.  System did not work well
with 2GB

If settings are lost and TV starts up blank
Get video set as desired
Run nvidia-settings and saved xorg.conf.
Disable xfsettingsd in the GUI Settings under "Session and Startup":  That
fixed the TV power cycle problem.

To get mythweb to work edit mythtv.conf to look like this
$ more mythtv.cnf
[mysqld]
#bind-address=::
max_connections=100
sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

To install a video card driver
   1) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
   2) sudo apt update
   3) Then launch Software & Updates -> Additional Driver utility, choose
the new driver from the list and apply changes.

Re VDPAU.
Set VDPAU Normal, Auto, and Video override to 16:9 and it plays

EIT disabled as when it was enabled it overwrote my Schedules Direct
listings so I only got listings for a day or so.

I had issues with sound but my setup might be unique.

edited rc.local

*#!/bin/sh -e*
*echo -n 15  > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold*
*hdhomerun_config 10137DC1 set /ir/target "192.168.1.111:5000
<http://192.168.1.111:5000> no_clear"*
*#this is a hack.  I dont' know what is starting lircd*
*killall lircd*
*lircd -H udp -d 5000*
*exit 0*

Allen