[mythtv-users] 2 missing channels with XMLTV JSON, but not missing with DataDirect.

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:19:14 UTC 2018

On 11/20/18 9:15 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 11/20/18 9:32 AM, Bill Meek wrote:

>>> I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find the raw JSON. I'll test
>>> what I find in preparation for if this happens again.  I checked
>>> this morning and I have 20 days of EPG on the channel that was
>>> giving me problems yesterday before it was fixed.
>>
>> Can't tell you where the "raw JSON" lives, but the XML is downloaded
>> 1st:
>>
>> Open two terminal windows. cd /tmp in the 1st one.
>>
>> In the 2nd, start running mythfilldatabase -v xmltv
>>
>> When you see messages like these in the 2nd window:
>>
>>    2018-11-20 08:36:32.280982 I  Inserting new program    :
>> 2018-12-10T18:30:00Z - 2018-12-10T19:00:00Z
>> I98010.json.schedulesdirect.org some pgm
>>
>> Go the the 1st window and type ls -lrt. You'll see a file named
>> mythLLLLLL (L=letters.) type: cp mythLLLLLL blah
>>
>> Unless you've got a really small number of channels, you don't need to
>> be quick, but the mythLLLLLL file will go away.
>>
>> The blah file has the raw XML in it. How to determine if your channel is
>> there I also don't know. But, this is what I get for my 11.1 channel and
>> that channel is in my EPG and can be recorded:
>>
>> $ grep "11\.1" blah
>>    <display-name>11.1</display-name>
>>
>> You can also grep for the xmltvid and (at least I) see lots of entries,
>> most likely for each program.
>>
>> Haven't been following this thread close enough, but assume that in the
>> sqlite DB that 11.1 is marked selected. I've been using sqlitebrowser
>> to view/change mine.
>>

> Or, maybe just using the existing option to verify the channel;
>
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --config-file
> '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/HDHR.xmltv' --list-channels
>
> adjusting the config-file for your system.
>
> Maybe someone else (that's not just getting started with this method
> can comment on if the JSON is available. I'm thinking that it only
> exists as the grabber processes it, not in a file. And, then perhaps
> it's converted to XML which is readable in /tmp.

At this point my list of channels is correct and at least 2 days of EPG
updates at 2am has run correctly and pulled data. I have no schedule
breaks in data during this 21 days.

So I'm back to normal here and I will keep monitoring it.

The question is, will these EPG pulls every change my list of channels?
If my list of channels is used to pull the data, then I should get
whatever is listed for those channels.  If the channel list changes on
the upstream service, then I would not get data, but my channel list
locally should be the same?

I know I don't fully understand the process. I see in the
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite setup it talks about 'existing and future
channels'. So I'm guessing if new channels are added I'll see them.
Since this rarely happens, not sure I've seen it happen.

Jim A