[mythtv-users] hdhrstreamhandler.cpp problem in build of Master for el7 - but not for F28

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:37:19 UTC 2018

Resending, with added info, to the list.

On 19/11/18 01:56, David Engel wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 09:01:12PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 18/11/18 20:45, David Engel wrote:
>>

>>> This problem should be fixed now.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>> Thank you.  I've seen your other comments, and Gary's, and respect them.  I
>> just feel that catching problems early is a good thing.
>>
>> and, for me, here's another in the pipeline...
>>
>>> the upgrade path from KDE on RHEL 7 to GNOME on RHEL 8 is unsupported
>>
>> but f27 to f28 was fairly painless; so perhaps I'll go that way.
>
> My other comments really weren't aimed at you.  I apologize if it came
> out that way.  They were mainly targeted at RedHat and to a lesser
> extent at how MythTV "supports" distributions that tend to get out of
> date quickly.
>
> If you're looking for an alternate, LTS distribution, you might
> consider Ubuntu.  Because of past cooperation with MythBuntu and
> Ubuntu proper, some project members work to coordinate our releases to
> fit well with theirs.  As previously noted, I'm partial to Debian
> because of it's backports support and ability to use even newer
> packages when needed.  Full disclosure, I was a Debian developer for
> several years in its very early days and still use it today.
>
> David

The new MythTV packages installed without drama and the system is
running.  Thanks again.

I should have realised that the homerun packages come from EPEL, and so
are not a part of the el7 clone.  There may be a chance of getting them
upgraded.  I'll enquire.

Yes, I have a couple of laptops on which I occasionally run mythbackend
and mythfrontend.real from the 30-pre ppa; but that has not been updated
since the ffmpeg refactor in April.  I know there's an obvious response
to that but my understanding of the ubuntu environment is more limited.

I just rebuilt the  3 hdhomerun packages for el7 from the fc29 src.rpm

mock --rebuild -r /etc/mock/SL-7x-fusion-x86_64.cfg
hdhomerun-0.0-0.35.20161117.fc29.src.rpm

where SL7...cfg is a homebrew similar to /etc/mock/epel-7-x86_64.cfg

No problems seen.  The 'request additional branch' process looks a bit
opaque, but a BZ might work.

John