[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on Raspberry 3 B+ audio issues.

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:45:05 UTC 2018

Well, if you can’t fix it, blow it up and start over.  This time I installed the Raspbian Stretch 9 2018-10-9 version with latest updates. I changed gpu memory to 320 and forced sound to HDMI in the /boot/config.txt. I installed mythtv light per the wiki, setting the performance options.
This time I didn’t do anything required by Kodi in the config.txt and I didn’t install Kodi yet.
I could not get ALSA sound to work on any setting until I created the .asoundrc file per the wiki. All sound was like a model airplane gas engine.

With the .asoundrc in place, I could select mythtv:ALSA and the sound now works on all channels and on the recording from the PBS station that had issues yesterday.

So problem solved, but Why do I need mythtv:CARD=ALSA if I have a new Stretch 9 with IEC958/HDMI device available?

Jim A