[mythtv-users] New backend install on Ubuntu 18.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Nov 13 02:40:45 UTC 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 18:13:01 -0800, you wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:23 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:54:32 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>> >I’m setting up an Ubuntu 18.04 VM to replace my backend running on an
>> >Ubuntu 14.04 box.  I added the 0.29 ppt (sudo add-apt-repository
>> >ppa:mythbuntu/0.29), but apt installs reset in “unmet dependencies”.
>> >
>> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> > mythtv : Depends: mythtv-database but it is not going to be installed
>> >          Depends: mythtv-frontend but it is not going to be installed
>> >          Depends: mythtv-backend but it is not going to be installed
>> >

>> >Is something else needed to install a new backend?
>>
>> That is weird.  Is MySQL or MariaDB installed?  One or other is
>> required for MythTV and might cause that, but usually MySQL is
>> installed by default.  Exactly what version of Ubuntu are you
>> installing?  Is it a server version?  I would recommend Xubuntu
>> 18.04.1 as the best version for a normal MythTV box, but it depends on
>> what other things you want to use it for, and having it in a VM sounds
>> like you just want to run a backend only system.
>>

>I didn't install MySQL or MariaDB.  I thought they would be automatically
>installed as mythtv-backend dependencies.
>Yes, my intent is to have a minimal backend only system.  I started with
>Ubuntu Server 18.04.1, with no desktop components.
>
>If Xubuntu is a better starting point, I'll re-install with that and try
>again.

I would have expected that a server install would have installed
MySQL, but as I have never done a server install, I am not certain of
that.  Xubuntu installs MySQL by default.  If neither MySQL or MariaDB
is installed, I am not sure what happens when you try to install
MythTV, but the MythTV packages you are seeing as having problems are
the ones that have a dependency requiring either MySQL or MariaDB.  So
it may be that not having either installed leaves those packages
unable to be installed and you need to manually choose one or the
other database to be installed.  So before giving up on your server
install, you might like to just try installing MariaDB before you try
installing MythTV again.