[mythtv-users] Using separate video modes and opengl renderer on AMD GPU

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:53:17 UTC 2018

I just replaced my main system with one using an AMD Ryzen 2400G, using
the on-chip GPU.  The old system used an nVidia GT210 which worked with
the following MythTV settings:

- use separate video modes:  I want to use 1280x720 for 720p content to
  have the display (which is 4k) do the scaling.  I also want to use a
  24Hz refresh rate for 1080p24 (Bluray) content to avoid judder.

- use opengl video renderer:  I want to avoid tearing.

The video goes blank when I use the same settings in the AMD system
(audio is fine).  If I change either setting, it works:  no separate
video modes works (but everything is shown at 1920x1080 at 60), xv-blit as
the renderer works (but there is tearing).

This is a Fedora 29 system with Gnome (Xorg) desktop, using the open
source GPU drivers.

Anyone know how to get what I want with an AMD GPU?  I will try and get
some debug logs.

Gregorio Gervasio Jr.        gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
GPG:  11A0 12AB 68F5 80D7 088E  C423 FA12 5EF9 DF30 192D