[mythtv-users] recording TV shows that get delayed by the Networks

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 14:01:36 UTC 2018

> On Nov 11, 2018, at 6:07 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Usually on the Sunday NFL football late afternoon game, it will run long and will force the prime-time lineup to slip each program for 10-45 minutes. What I'm doing now is setting each program on CBS's 17-1 OTA channel to stop recording 45 minutes after the scheduled stop.
>
> The nice thing about this is you always have 1 recording per show, but you may have to fast forward to get to the start of it.
>
> So this got me thinking what are the additional burdens put on the backend.  Obviously more disk space is used. More cpu is used to record the same 17-1 tuner for 2 shows at once.
>

> But what about the tuners? I have a HDHR Quatro configured for a maximum number of recordings per tuner as 2. So my system looks like it has 8 tuners, but I've only really tested this feature with the sub channels on the same channel. i.e. 5-1, 5-2, 11-1, 11-2 at the same time.
>
> Depending on the answer to that question what would happen if I was configured to on 1 maximum recording per tuner?
>
> Jim A

My understanding is that yes, more disk space is used, but no additional network band width is used from the tuner. I do the same thing you do, but add 1 hour extra.

After We watch the show(s), I go in and flag for cuts the beginning and end  of the show that is not the desired show for each one that is watched. I then queue a transcode high quality job to remove the flagged cuts.

I set up 4 virtual tuners per tuner, and this handles it well, including the 30 added seconds that are imposed when back to back recordings are on the same real channel.

Regards