[mythtv-users] crontab vs. anacron from a mythtv perspective

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:30:42 UTC 2018

Not a problem, but a discussion. In working with Stephen Worthington on
figuring out why database maintenance task changed their runtime after
switching to Ubuntu 18.04, I got to thinking.

Yes, I know that me thinking is always dangerous, but here goes.

1.  There must be some reason that the Ubuntu folks set the anacron
daily stuff to run just after midnight. Not sure if I change it back to
7:35, as in Ubuntu 16.04, if that fixes my problem but breaks theirs. Or
will break it in the near future.

2.  Manually editing /etc/crontab is frowned on and your changes can get
overwritten by a system upgrade.

3.  The conclusion I've reached is that if I setup my specific
maintenance jobs use 'sudo crontab -e' then my maintenance jobs will
continue to run correctly after a system upgrade. Apparently, 'crontab
-e' creates/edits each users individual crontab and leaves the system
crontab alone.

I found a good explanation at:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-schedule-routine-tasks-with-cron-and-anacron-on-a-vps

Now of course, my solution only works on backend's that always run and
never sleep.

Thought?

Jim A