[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power supply (wall wart) gone bad

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:14:03 UTC 2018

On 11/8/18 10:39 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> I, and others, have
> successfully replaced these wall warts with a cable that connects
> directly to the PC's 5v power supply. I essentially took the Molex
> connector from a dead case fan, moved the "+" pin from the 12v position
> to 5v, chopped off the bad wall wart's cable, and wired it to the pins
> on the Molex connector. Remember: Polarity is crucial!

+1 on this strategy.  I've been running my HD-PVR off of my MythTV box's
DVR for a few years with zero trouble.   I just run the wire out of the
back of the MythTV box (via an expansion slot cover that has a hole in
it) and to the HD-PVR.

Aside from being more reliable, one fewer wall wart is a neater setup!

-WD