[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup gksu not found

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:37:47 UTC 2018

On 02/11/2018 14:58, James Abernathy wrote:
>> I do not recommend trying to add gksu back in.
>>
>> This how I handle the situation on  *Ubuntu 16.04,16.10,18.04,18.10 etc.
>>
>> After installing mythtv, run "sudo adduser $USER mythtv" and then
>> either logout or reboot for it to take effect.
>>
>> Always use terminal session to stop mythtv-backend  "sudo systemctl
>> stop mythtv-backend" before using mythtv-setup
>>
>> Always use terminal session for  mythtv-setup, do not allow
>> mythfilldatabase or start mythbackend when exiting mythtv-setup.
>>
>> Always use terminal session to start mythtv-backend "sudo systemctl
>> start mythtv-backend"
>>
>> I use ssh -X ... when connecting to mythtv-backend machine from
>> another *Ubuntu system.
>>
>> If you need to run mythfilldatabase  manually, there are two ways :
>>
>> Tip you can give user mythtv a bash shell to make life easier in a
>> terminal session "sudo chsh -s /bin/bash mythtv"
>>
>> 1. open a terminal session "sudo su mythtv" then mythfilldatabase,
>> exit from session when finished back to the original user.
>>
>> 2. Just run "sudo -u mythtv mythfilldatabase”
>>
> If I do option #2 I notice that it must not set the $USER variable to
> ‘mythtv’ because if I look at the console log I see:
>
> “<date and time>” I XMLTV config file is :/home/jim/,mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
> If I run it doing option #1 it shows XMLTV config file is :
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
> Jim A

Apologies, I missed -H so it should be:

sudo -u mythtv -H mythfilldatabase

Additionally, if your version of mythfilldatabase supports it (run
mythfilldatabase --help to check), you may want to add parameter
--no-allatonce after mythfilldatabase e.g.

sudo -u mythtv -H mythfilldatabase  --no-allatonce

This minimises memory usage, by only grabbing 1 days worth of data at a
time.

Some xmltv grabbers default to allatonce which due to the way
mythfilldatabase is currently implemented can use huge amounts of
memory, many gigabytes, leading to performance and possibly xmltv
grabber failure..

Mike