[mythtv-users] unexpected behaviour

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:11:46 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 10:26 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:11:23 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Greetings mythizens, I got 0-byte recordings for three shows airing
> between
> >10 &11 pm last night.
> >This was co-incident with me switching over to Kodi, and starting my VPN,
> >and streaming a show I had missed, I can wrap my head around losing the
> >hdhr (network tuner) recording but the other two were on internal tuner
> >cards. Is this normal behaviour?
> >
> >Does any one else using Myth and Kodi on the same box have suggestions?
> >
> >TIA  Daryl
>
> MythTV uses tuners in order, and does not ever try another tuner when
> one fails.  So if the first tuner is a network one and you have
> somehow screwed up the network access to the tuner, then that could
> explain what happened.  When you say the other two recordings were on
> internal tuner cards, how are you working out what card was used for
> the recordings?  Were the recordings from a different source that
> needed to use the internal cards?  When you get a failed recording,
> you can find the tuner it attempted to use in the logs, or you can go
> to the recording and use the I command twice (and then scroll down if
> necessary) to see the tuner.
>
> How do you use a VPN?  If it is run from the MythTV box then it is
> likely that setting up the VPN connection will have changed the
> routing on the MythTV box in a way that prevented access to the HDHR
> tuner.  The standard way the VPNs work is to divert all traffic
> outside the box to the VPN connection.  Often you can set them up so
> that local traffic on your network will not go via the VPN, but you
> will have to do extra configuration to do that.
>
> Another consideration is if you have storage group locations that are
> stored over network connections to other boxes on your network. MythTV
> has problems with network locations not being accessible.  If
> activating your VPN caused network storage groups to be inaccessible,
> but mythbackend kept trying to access them, that causes mythbackend to
> run extremely slowly due to it continually locking up in a bit of code
> that is trying the network connection and then failing. Each time the
> connection fails, it can move on and do a little more work, but as
> soon as it tries the connection again, it locks up again.  Only part
> of mythbackend is affected, but that includes the threads that do
> recordings, so all recordings fail.  As mythbackend tries to access
> all storage groups in that code, it does not matter if the networked
> storage group is only used for videos or pictures - it will still
> cause access to the recording storage groups to fail.

My only network component is the HDHR, everything else in in the combined
FE/BE, internal cards have UDEV rules and are used first, before the HDHR.
Storage is three 1TB drives, internal, one of which I just replaced
(impending failure) and curiously when I used Kodi it unmounted storage2 of
it's own volition at the time of the failure. I doubt that all three failed
recordings were going to the one drive, as they were simotanious, just
something else to scratch the head with. VPN is on the myth/kodi box only
and engaged when needed through the unity bar.