[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup issues on 18.04

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:32:16 UTC 2018

On 11/1/18 11:55 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 01/11/2018 15:45, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> Besides the issue of mythv install not adding $USER to group 'mythtv'
>> automatically, I'm finding that after you complete setup it will not
>> properly start mythbackend or do mythfilldatabase if chosen. I had to
>> exit mythtv-setup without starting the backend or mythfilldatabase.
>> Then reboot, then manually run mythfilldatabase prior to mythfrontend
>> working.
>>
>> Not sure this issue, but my instructions will include this exit and
>> reboot.
>>
>> Jim A

> The issue of mythtv-backend not starting after using mythtv-setup for
> the first time (or after continuous mythbackend failure) is that
> systemd has marked mythtv-backend as "failed" (usually after trying to
> start it a number of times).
>
> In such cases a reboot should resolve, assuming mythtv-backend does
> start properly.
>
> Another way, no reboot required, is to do "sudo systemctl
> daemon-reload" followed by "sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend"

Reboot start fix the mythbackend startup.  Only issue I had was after
reboot, I needed to run mythfilldatabase as $USER. that failed, so I ran
it as user mythtv. That worked.

After the first time I now can run mythfilldatabase as $USER. Permission
issue probably. I think it maybe that in /home/mythtv, directory
.mythtv's permissions are:

drwxr-xr-x 7 mythtv mythtv 4096 Nov  1 14:17 .mythtv
drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Nov  1 14:26 .xmltv

maybe .mythtv should be 775? like .xmltv?

Jim A