[mythtv-users] Semi-OT anyone recording New York OTA, and NBC 4.1

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:27:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:47 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yea...I was posting about this on the NY OTA thread on avsforums and
> someone pointed out that they're sharing that frequency with
> Telemundo. Interestingly they seem to be giving more bandwidth to the
> latter apparently.

Not entirely sure about the internal politics of that,
but the WNBC subchannel is the "new guy" on the
transmitter that telemundo WNJU has used for
some time now.  The claim was that that in terms
of RF coverage, WNJUs transmitter was better
than WNBCs transmitter, so WNBC was the one
chosen to go off the air.

For over $200 million, I expect Comcast was
willing to make some compromises (for $200
million, I would be willing to consider making
some compromises too).  And while I believe
the NYC market was the largest single payout,
there was a lot of money exchanged to go off
the air across the country.

I thought I had mentioned that the results of the
FCC auction set of 1000/1001/1002 is going to
impact various OTA stations over the next few
years.  You need to look at the FCC site to see
how/when it will impact you.