[mythtv-users] ugraded to 0.29, cannot connect to backend

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 28 08:33:59 UTC 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018 09:20:46 -0600, you wrote:

>Thanks for the tip, but I don't think this is my issue. I am able to
>connect to the database just fine from both the backend and frontend hosts
>using the "mysql" command line method. I did put in the
>"bind-address=0.0.0.0" line in the [mysqld] section of the
>/etc/my.cnf.d/mariadb-server.cnf file and restarted mariadb, but made no
>difference; mythbackend still starts as a slave. None of the other files in
>my.cnf.d have any reference o bind-address. I do not have a mythtv.cnf file
>anywhere.
>
>--Greg

How are you running mythtv-setup?  It should be run as the same user
you run mythfrontend from.  And you need to make sure that mythbackend
has been shut down when mythv-setup is run.  Since systemd came along,
the automatic shut down of mythbackend does not work so well.  So
manually shut down mythbackend, then verify that it is shut down:

ps -e | grep myth

Only then run mythtv-setup, from the correct user, and set the "This
server is the Master Backend" option.  If that option is already set,
clear it, exit out of mythtv-setup, making sure to tell it to save on
the way out.  Then restart mythtv-setup and set the option, exit (with
save), and then check the database to see if the master server IP
address has been set.  From a mysql prompt:

use mythconverg;
select * from settings where value like '%serverip%';

This is what I get for v29 on Ubuntu 16.04:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where value like
'%serverip%';
+------------------+----------+----------+
| value            | data     | hostname |
+------------------+----------+----------+
| MasterServerIP   | 10.0.2.4 | NULL     |
| BackendServerIP  | 10.0.2.4 | mypvr    |
| BackendServerIP6 | ::1      | mypvr    |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

If you are not getting the MasterServerIP setting, then you can try to
manually add it:

insert into settings (value,data,hostname)
value('MasterServerIP','<the correct IP address>',NULL);

and then check to see if it is there by repeating the select.