[mythtv-users] Firewire disconnects

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon May 28 06:35:36 UTC 2018

Since Comcast encrypted everything, I am forced to record over firewire
from their cable boxes (we have two).  Luckily, they still allow it on
non-premium channels.

The problem is that if the box gets turned off (or otherwise looses
connection with the backend), recordings fail (zero file size on both of
two futile attempts) until mythbackend is restarted.  Is there a way for
me to have mythbackend automatically do whatever it does during startup
whenever tuning fails, without having to restart the backend?  There
used to be a setting to "Disable Firewire Reset", but that is no longer
available in V29.1.  It never seemed to matter whether it was checked or
not, anyway.

Something in this new version (of Fedora or Myth, I'm not sure which)
seems to make it more sensitive to something and it disconnects MUCH
more often.  My wife uses myth to watch the news in "Live TV" mode while
she cooks and when it changes from the national news to the local news,
it often fails and no recordings are available from that backend until
it is restarted (mythbackend, not the computer).  I'm not really sure
exactly what causes it, but I'm guessing it's the video format changing
while it's recording that makes it fail.  It could be some other glitch
in between shows, but I've seen problems in earlier versions where
playback would fail when video format changed during the recording
(mplayer played it back but mythfrontend failed).

I set up a web interface for her to restart mythbackend, but it's still
a PITA and would be nice if it was automatic.  Anyone else seen this
and/or have a suggestion for a solution?

Dave D.