[mythtv-users] ugraded to 0.29, cannot connect to backend

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat May 26 00:16:49 UTC 2018

Some progress but still no joy. It is still starting as a slave backend and
the frontend still won't connect.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Need to know what hostname is used by the backend.
>
> Look at these two log lines:
>
>     ...Empty LocalHostName <may not print if not empty>
>     ...Using localhost value of <probably mongoliad.gregandeva.net)

Since I finally figured out that /etc/mythtv/config.xml was being used, I
changed it to this:

 <Configuration>
  <UPnP>
    <UDN>
      <MediaRenderer>3da71c71-cb33-45ca-beae-93bc4a062152</MediaRenderer>
    </UDN>
    <MythFrontend>
      <DefaultBackend>
        <LocalHostName>mongoliad.gregandeva.net</LocalHostName>
      </DefaultBackend>
    </MythFrontend>
  </UPnP>
  <LocalHostName>mongoliad.gregandeva.net</LocalHostName>
  <Database>
    <PingHost>1</PingHost>
    <Host>mongoliad.gregandeva.net</Host>
    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
    <Password>*redacted*</Password>
    <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
    <Port>3306</Port>
  </Database>
  <WakeOnLAN>
    <Enabled>0</Enabled>
    <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
    <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
    <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
  </WakeOnLAN>
</Configuration>

When I did this, it no longer logs the Empty LocalHostName line, and I
could actually connect to the backend when I ran "mythutil --clearcache".

> Upstart, systemd can set MYTHCONFDIR too. Just something to watch for.

Bingo on this. The /usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service file is what
was setting MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv

Unfortunately, after all this, it still starts as a slave backend, and it
still logs:

2018-05-25 18:02:26.010241 C [17703/17752] ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1614 (HandleVersion) - MainServer: MainServer::HandleVersion
- Client speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!

..and the frontend still can't connect.

> > - Client speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!
>
> Wondering if this is a red herring. Could be something like a Kodi
> host.

I sure don't know whether it's a red herring, but I do know that I don't
have any Kodi hosts.

Thanks to all you guys for spending time helping.

--Greg