[mythtv-users] Channel Line-up change and previously recorded

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Fri May 25 08:26:10 UTC 2018

On 24/05/2018 21:34, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I ... was just wondering if people keep their lineups around forever
> (I have non-watched recordings from 2013 still) so their displays are
> not #xxxx on each recording..

Here in the UK, channels often change number, so I too have lots of
recordings that show #xxxx for the channel name, which looks ugly. Even
worse, sometimes new channels take over an old number, so recordings
that were originally recorded on, say, Drama, may change to say they
were recorded on ITV3, which is positively misleading!

It would involve a database schema change, but I think the best solution
would be to save the channel *name* for each recording in the recordings
table, and use that when displaying in the UI, rather than doing a
lookup of the number in the channels table. This would use slightly more
disk space but would be slightly quicker (one fewer lookup) and would
retain what channel a recording was made on, even if that channel moves
or is renamed later. This seems more "correct" behaviour to me.

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T