[mythtv-users] mceusb

Greg gregl at nycap.rr.com
Sat May 19 13:12:38 UTC 2018

On 05/18/2018 12:20 PM, Rick wrote:
> On 5/18/2018 11:41 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 May 2018 10:28:41 -0300, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm trying to install an mceusb with blaster on F27. I'm only
>>> interested in getting the irblaster portion working to change channels
>>> on a slave backend. Everything I read on the wiki and via google search
>>> seems to have been written at the dawn of history and in bits and
>>> pieces
>>> scattered here and there. I've got an lircd.conf and a channel change
>>> script but don't know where to go from there.  Is there something
>>> you're
>>> supposed to modprobe or install to get channel changing to work?  I
>>> understand the mceusb should work without installing lirc. Things I've
>>> found out. lsusb shows it's recognized as Bus 001 Device 004: ID
>>> 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver,
>>>
>>> # mode2 --driver devinput --list-devices
>>> /dev/input/event6 [0471:0815] Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver
>>> version:  1.10 serial: PH00UFxr
>>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-Philips_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver_PH00UFxr-event-if00
>>>
>>> -> ../event6
>>> /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:10:1.0-event -> ../event6
>>>
>>> Any and all help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>
>> I have never heard of an IR blaster working without lirc.  IR input
>> can work without lirc, by emulating keystrokes, but there is no such
>> mechanism for IR blasting.
>
> Thanks that moves me incrementally along but doesn't help get the
> irblaster working.  The myblaster I was using before it broke worked
> flawlessly for many years without lirc so you can see why I was
> apparently confused.
>
> Rick

Are you absolutely sure the myblaster is broken? I've use one of them
for nearly 10 years.. When I recently installed it on Ubuntu 18.04, I
had to make sure ttys0 was in the dialup group and my myth user was in
in the dialup group.  I checked if it would change channels, by running
code search from a terminal using root to eliminate any permissions
problems...

good luck