[mythtv-users] Porting mythtv backend to a LXD container

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:48:57 UTC 2018

On 05/18/2018 09:27 PM, Rajil Saraswat wrote:
> I have a mysql server running in an LXD container which hosts the mythtv
> database. The mythv-backend is itself running on the host. My plan is to
> move the backend to a separate LXD container as well.
>
> I setup a new container, and made sure that the tv tuners devices and
> 'Storage Group directories' are available inside the container. However,
> when i run mythtv-setup in the container, the  Capture card list comes
> up empty. Also, the 'Storage Groups' come up empty as well. I have a
> sneaking suspicion, that since the container has a different ip address
> than the host, myth is trying to set up a new profile. Is that correct?
> Is there any way i can reuse the old profile with a new ip address?

I'd guess that the tuners and Storage Groups appear to be missing because
the hostname has changed.

There is a way to change the hostname (which is used as a profile ID.) Look
in the config.xml that the backend uses for a line like:

     <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>

and change it to the original hostname used when the DB was created.
Typically the output of the command: hostname. You may have frontends
on the same host that need the same change.

If you choose this solution, then you're responsible for maintaining it,
for example if config.xml ever gets deleted/unlinked/corrupt, remember
to restore the LocalHostName. It's a quick test to prove the reason for the
missing DB info.

Or, you can go to the Wiki for instructions on changing the hostname in
the DB. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
which is a better/safer solution.

--
Bill