[mythtv-users] moving to Ubuntu 18.04 server for mythtv backend v29??

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:53:37 UTC 2018

On 18/05/18 14:45, James Abernathy wrote:
> I while back I successfully created a mythtv backend and SAMBA file
> server on an Ubuntu 16.04 Server LTS. I figure I have a while, but I
> need to start planning on a move to 18.04 LTS at some point. Anyone
> looked into this yet?  I did a blog for my own needs to document the
> effort at:
>
> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2018/01/creating-combined-mythtv-headless.html
>

> I’m looking to see if any of the steps will need to be changed for 18.04
>
> Jim Abernathy
> jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>

As others have indicated, I suggest you wait a while, till 18.04.1,
possibly later, there are some mythtv/packaging changes required (mythtv
itself is ok).

I did do several in-place upgrades (Xubuntu 16.04 to 18.04) on a couple
of mythtv test systems and they did work, albeit with a few niggles.

I have changed my production mythtv system to Xubuntu 18.04 (Desktop),
but I did a clean install of the operating system and restored mythtv
mythconverg database from backup.

A number of mythtv trac tickets have been raised, all have temporary
work arounds, but require editing/moving files and running commands in a
terminal session (no real problem if you are experienced in this area,
not recommended for less experienced users)

Mike