[mythtv-users] moving to Ubuntu 18.04 server for mythtv backend v29??

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:17:15 UTC 2018

On 18 May 2018 at 14:45, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I while back I successfully created a mythtv backend and SAMBA file server
> on an Ubuntu 16.04 Server LTS. I figure I have a while, but I need to start
> planning on a move to 18.04 LTS at some point. Anyone looked into this
> yet?  I did a blog for my own needs to document the effort at:
>
>  http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2018/01/creating-
> combined-mythtv-headless.html
>
> I’m looking to see if any of the steps will need to be changed for 18.04

​
I started to build an 'upgrade box' (to replace my ageing ubuntu 12.04 LTS)
a month or so ago and I decided to go for 16.04 rather than 18.04. YMMV of
course.

In my experience the very latest release (currently 18.04) is generally
"too new" for all the little niggles to have been ironed out. I'd rather go
for a stable and established release 'cos I don't have the time to spend
(apart from what is needed to build mythtv) fighting with little
annoyances, incompatabilities and instabilities.

One example of this that I found while doing some testing is that 18.04
ships with a later version (7.2 IIRC) of php, which causes some annoying
warning messages in mythweb.

George
Somerset, UK.