[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Mythbackend issue

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Sun May 13 23:56:42 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2018 10:47:45 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I see "can't write to" issue and some "AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max
> >required Free Space: 1.0 GB w/freq: 15 min" thing which when I search
> seems
> >to be some TV Tuner issue
>
> You can ignore the "Autoexpire:" messages - they are normal.  It just
> means that mythbackend has looked at all the storage groups and
> checked that they have enough free space.  If they do not, it will
> choose some recordings to expire to create enough free space.  Always
> make sure your storage groups have enough free space unless you want
> old recordings to expire.  I leave a minimum of 20 Gibytes free at all
> times.
>
> The "can't write to" messages come about by mythbackend writing a zero
> length file ".test" to each storage group directory on startup.  If it
> fails to create the file, or fails to be able to delete it, it will
> give the "can't write to" message and will not use that storage group
> directory for writing until the next time it is started.
>
> So, first, take a look and see if your storage group directories
> contain .test files, and what their ownership and permissions look
> like.  Then manually delete them if they are there.  If you have had a
> permissions problem that has caused the .test files to be left behind
> undeleted, then I think the test fails on creating new ones, hence the
> need to manually delete them after you fix the permissions.
>
> Then, try creating the .test files yourself as the user that
> mythbackend runs as (mythtv).  Log in as root and do this:
>
> su - mythtv -c touch "<storage group path>/.test"
>
> And try deleting them again:
>
> su - mythtv -c "rm <storage group path>/.test"
>
> If either command does not work, then you need to fix the ownership
> and permissions until it does work.

so i am slightly confused. Here's what I have:

BE user - myth  (no "tv"), mythconverg user: mythtv
FE user - mythtv

In ubuntu BE, i don't have "root". so i always log in as "myth" and when I
do, it let's me do the touch and rm the .test

When we test permissions, do we test the "mythtv" because the FE as well as
the DB user is "mythtv" or do we test "myth" because that's the BE user?

I gather the DB user "mythtv" comes in play later once FE talks to the BE,
but the file permissions AND ownership is what confuses me.

My share "/usr/local/media/metadata" is currently showing as

myth at ScorpioOne:~$ ls -ahl /usr/local/media/
total 208K
drwxrwsr-x   9 nobody 4294967294   91 May  7 01:07 .
drwxr-xr-x  11 root   root        127 May 11 14:24 ..
drwxrwsr-x   4 root   mythtv       35 May  2 08:43 Data
drwxrwsr-x   2 root   mythtv        6 May  7 01:07 live-tv
drwxrwsr-x   2 nobody 4294967294 128K May 13  2018 metadata
drwxrwsr-x 185 nobody 4294967294  20K May 12 23:11 Music
drwxrwsr-x 103 nobody 4294967294 4.0K Jan  1 09:26 Pics
drwxrwsr-x   4 root   mythtv       38 May  7 01:34 TV
drwxrwsr-x   8 root   mythtv      108 Apr 13 12:47 Videos