[mythtv-users] Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun May 13 11:08:33 UTC 2018

On 13/05/2018, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/18 11:38, Bret Busby wrote:
>> So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
>> package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
>> list?
>
> Please run "apt-cache depends mythtv" on your backend.
>
> On my old server (Ubuntu 14.04) the output is as follows. As you can see
> both mysql and mariadb are supported.
>
> root at zotac:~# apt-cache depends mythtv
> mythtv
>  |Depends: mysql-server
>     mysql-server-5.1
>  |Depends: <virtual-mysql-server>
>     percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.5
>     mariadb-server-5.5
>     mysql-server-5.1
>     mysql-server-5.5
>     mysql-server-5.6
>  |Depends: <mysql-server-5.7>
>  |Depends: mysql-server-5.6
>   Depends: mariadb-server
>   Depends: mythtv-database
>   Depends: mythtv-frontend
>   Depends: mythtv-backend
>  |Depends: ntp
>  |Depends: <time-daemon>
>     chrony
>     openntpd
>   Depends: <ntp-simple>
>   Suggests: mythtv-doc
>
> If yours looks similar your problem isn't due to mythtv packages.

Okay - I ran the command (as user, not as superuser, and got the following;

"
bret at bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ apt-cache depends mythtv
mythtv
 |Depends: <default-mysql-server>
 |Depends: <virtual-mysql-server>
    percona-server-server-5.6
    percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6
    mariadb-server-10.0
    mysql-server-5.7
 |Depends: mysql-server-5.7
 |Depends: <mysql-server-5.6>
  Depends: mariadb-server
  Depends: mythtv-database
  Depends: mythtv-frontend
  Depends: mythtv-backend
 |Depends: ntp
 |Depends: <time-daemon>
    chrony
    openntpd
  Depends: <ntp-simple>
  Suggests: mythtv-doc
bret at bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$
"

which makes me wonder why it requires the removal of the package
mysql-server-core-5.6 .

I note that your dependencies above, include
>     mysql-server-5.6

Okay - it occurred to me, in looking further inSynaptic, I found that
v5.7 of most of the mysql stuff, was installed, and,
mysql-server-core-5.7 was available, along with mysql-server-5.7, but,
they were not installed, but v 5.6 of each, was installed.

So, using apt-get install, I installed the v5.7 of each, by running
apt-get install mysql-server-5.7
which involved removing the v5.6 package, and, replacing it with the
v5.7 package, and now, mythTV is installing, from the Software Centre,
so it was not an issue to dfo with mariadb and mysql - it was an issue
to do with, for whatever reason, a version of mysql-server and
mysql-server-core, that had not been upgraded, when the rest of the
mysql packages had been upgraded.

Ot, that is my unqualified opinion, anyway.

And, in the course of my writing this last part, mythtv has installed.

Now, to get it working...

--

Bret Busby
Armadale